Blogging Scholarship Wiki
Congratulations on joining the Blogging Scholarship! This document will introduce you to how to add blog posts to CBL International’s websites. As per the description of the blogging scholarship, participants are required to write 1 blog post per day. Each blog post is to be 500 words or more. The addition of pictures and other media, while not required, is greatly appreciated.
In order to log into our blogging software (we’re using WordPress) and start posting, you’ll need three pieces of information:
1. Login URL that looks like this:
Copy the entire Login URL into your web browser. If you’re using Windows, your web browser will most likely be Internet Explorer. For Mac users, this will most likely be Safari.
Once you arrive at the Login URL page, you can enter your Username and Password. Enter them now and click on the “Log In” button. You will be redirected to the Dashboard, your blogging control center.
Starting Your First Blog Post
Alright, let’s start your first blog post! On the left hand side is a column of buttons that include Posts, Media, Comments, Profile, Tools. Mouse over the Post button and click on “Add New”.
On this “Add New Post” page, you’ll need to submit a total of four things:
- Title – Tell us what your post is about.
- Add Media – Click this button to add pictures to your blog post. While not required, this will greatly increase user experience and highly recommended (and much appreciated). Learn more about adding pictures in the next section.
- Post – Write your blog post in this section. There are two tabs on the upper right corner of this section, “Visual” and “Text”. The visual tab allows you to write your blog post using a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editor. The text tab is for more advanced users with prior HTML experience.
- Category – Have the “blog” option marked.
Once you’ve completed the form, submit the post for review using the “Submit for Review” button located on the upper right hand corner. Located above this button is a “Preview” button where you can preview the post on our website before you submit it. The preview button is great for checking alignment and formatting.
Our website administrator will review your post before it goes live.
Adding Pictures to Posts
While writing your blog post, you can also add pictures to improve overall user experience. To do so, simply click on the “Add Media” button. A pop-up will appear, pictured below:
With “Upload Files” tab selected, you can drag & drop your desired pictures (multiple pictures can be dropped) anywhere within the section where is says “Drop files anywhere to upload”. You can also click on the “Select Files” button to select pictures on your computer. Once complete, you’ll arrive at the “Insert Media” page where it’ll take several seconds for the pictures to upload and processed.
On this Insert Media page, you’ll see a thumbnail of your uploaded picture(s) with a check next to it. These selected pictures will be added to the post when you click on the “Insert into Post” button located at the lower right hand corner.
Before doing so, you’ll need to update some of the configurations on the right column, pictured below:
Leaving the “Attachment Details” as is, scroll down to the “Attachment Display Setting”. There are three things you can configure here:
- Alignment: There are four choices to choose from including left, right, center, none.
Left – picture will appear on the left hand side where text will wrap around the right.
Right – picture will appear on the right hand side where text will wrap around the left.
Center – picture is aligned in the center with text below (no wrapping).
None – picture will appear on the left hand side with text on the bottom (no wrapping).
You can play around with these settings to see which is best for you blog post.
- Link To: This will create a link to the picture. That is, when someone clicks on the picture in your post, it’ll redirect them to your set location. In general, you should use “None”. Below are the 4 choices:
None – no link is created.
Media File – the full sized image is displayed.
Attachment Page – a specific image page is generated for your uploaded image.
Custom URL – you can choose a custom link for the picture.
- Size: This is the size of the picture that will appear in the post. The width of your post is 660 pixels, hence, if you insert a picture with a larger width, it will look awkward. Our website automatically resizes the picture to three defined sizes, thumbnail, medium, and large.
Thumbnail – 150 x 150px
Medium – 300 x 225px
Large – 660 x 495px
Full Size – exact dimensions of your picture
If you’re using a picture directly from your camera or phone, the full size image will be very large (much larger than 660px), hence, we suggest using one of the predefined settings. Again, play around with these to see which is most suitable.